Preface and acknowledgements
2. The influence of the legal and institutional framework
3. The economy and society diverge: setting up the insecurity cycle
4. The state steps in: and then back out again
5. More problems with capitalism: but new ideas are slow to gain traction
6. A change of ideology: but capital undermines Keynes
7. Keynes versus "keynesianism": liberalism resurrected
8. Neoliberalism entrenched
9. The 2008 financial crisis: a crisis of neoliberalism or just another financial crisis?
10. Britain and the Eoropean Union
11. Conclusions: when might the insecurity move again?